Saturday, August 27, 2011

France day 24: Feuilletée

This month is soon coming to a close and I really wish I could stay longer. Tomorrow we're having a potluck party at school because it's our second last day of school and last day with our French Speaking/listening teacher. I suppose it's a little less terrible that most of us are leaving this weekend if we get to mourn with cheese and wine.


My host-mom makes these amazing fruit tarts sometimes for dessert and I wanted to make some to bring to class. Every time I tell her how amazing her cooking is she says that it's so simple anyone could do it. When it comes to these tarts, she's definitely right, for the most part. Because though  the tarts are easy to make, Mme. failed to mention how difficult it is to stop yourself from eating a slice while they're cooking. The smell is absolutely intoxicating.




There are many types of pastry in France like sable, brisée and of course, feuilletée! Feuilletée pastry can be found in a lot of different foods here from croissants, to quiches, and of course, tarts.  It's easy to see why it's so popular since all the air in it prevents it from tasting too heavy and the flakiness makes it super fun (at least for me) to eat. It's also my host-mom's favourite type and she's used it in many dishes she's made.

I don't know if this is a French thing or whether she's just brilliant but she had this great trick to put rolled oats under the plums on my tart to absorb their juice and the tart doesn't go soggy. The best part is that you can't even tell that the oats are there once it's cooked which is great because i'm not quite sure how appetizing an oatmeal tart would sound.


How many more hours until I can have a slice?

After dinner origami lesson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews