I know this is strange but, I like to walk down aisles too, the grocery store type of aisle. What most see as a chore I like to see as a hobby. I mean, what's not to like? Every product you pass by is a possible inspiration for a dish and a new experiment. And if there's free samples, well that's just icing on the cake isn't it?
Sadly, there are currently two huge barriers preventing me from walking among well-stocked shelves:
- I'm moving out tomorrow and my baggage allowance doesn't allow me to bring all my darling ingredients (You don't find food darling? Well you should.)
- I have final exams hanging over my head and should be spending my time among another type of shelf, book shelves.
At least my current demise has forced me to get a bit creative with what's left in my cupboards. Here's what my Mexican food craving lead me to couple nights ago.
Vegetarian Quinoa-Chickpea Enchiladas
Inspired by Vegetarian Black Bean Enchiladas
Yield: 8 enchiladas
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup (or more) vegetables of your choice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (try to find a low sodium kind)
- 1/2 cup water (I just used the chickpea 'juice' from the can)
- 8 tortillas
- ~1/2 cup salsa
- shredded cheese
- Preset oven to 350F
- Cook cooked quinoa, chickpeas, taco seasoning, water and 1 heaping tablespoon salsa on stovetop
- Spoon 1/8 of the mixture onto tortilla and roll
- Spread some salsa on the bottom of a baking tray, place enchiladas, top with more salsa and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned (~10 minutes)