Thursday, April 7, 2011

Almond Joy Smoothie

I am old. It feels like just yesterday that I arrived on campus, sleep deprived from the red-eye flight, knowing no one and extremely lost. But today I officially finished my last class of third year, thereby making me a little old lady, minus the little part. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but right now I think I just want to be in undergrad forever because the real world seems pretty scary.


Does the real world have cafes that offer 5 different types of dairy to put into your coffee? How about state-of-the-art gym's that I can enter with the swipe of my student card, gyms with smoothie joints with half-price Tuesdays? And professors that defer deadlines on 'compassionate grounds' when you drop your laptop and shatter the screen? I like my current world.

I think its best to brush away these panicky thoughts until at least halfway through fourth year by going to said card-swiping gym. Gyms are sacred places where you get to run, swim, elliptical away all that's concerning in the world. At the gym there are no exams, interviews, rejection letters, or the 'real' world to freak out about. At the gym it's just me, my 'Cardio <3' (I keep the <3 from my high school days for nostalgia) playlist, and the treadmill. I can handle that.

Another one of my favorite cure-all's are smoothies. There's really nothing more soothing than an icy drink that tastes like dessert. I had an epiphany yesterday afternoon that coconut, almonds and chocolate would make the perfect combination for one. You know, like an Almond Joy? Except I've never actually had an Almond Joy before, is it an American thing? Because if so, I'd like to know so I can grab a few on my next cross-border shopping trip. I'm hoping it'll taste like this so I don't have to rename my recipe and because this is delish!

Almond Joy Smoothie
Yield: 1 ~16oz. smoothie
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
  • 1 small frozen banana
  • water to adjust consistency
  • handful chopped almonds
  • Almond extract (I don't have any but I imagine it would be delicious)
  1. Blend all ingredients except the almonds, it might take a while to get the coconut smooth
  2. Top with almonds
  3. Sip away the 'real' world

3 comments:

Trisha said...

Looks like a yummy drink!!!

HaleyLeann said...

I don't know if Almond Joys are strictly an American thing or not. But I do know that you can get them most anywhere in the U.S. The smoothie sounds delicious! It reminds me that I was wanting to make some almond milk! I need cheesecloth! Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

Elizabeth said...

Almond milk is my favorite! I miss my university's gym so much! I never realized how good I had it in college! Glad to see your enjoying it lots though! I will have to try this smoothy, sounds divine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews