Friday, April 22, 2011

Pesto Quinoa

I've been spoiled. Spoiled by chocolate chip cookies, humongous ice cream sundaes, and homemade Italian food, but mostly, by The Food Network channel.


I don't watch TV at school except when on a treadmill. So when I'm asked "Hey, have you seen that commercial where..." or "Have you seen that trailer for that movie that looks so good?", no I really haven't. And though it's mostly a good thing that I do more productive things when there's no TV around, it also means that I'm entirely deprived from inspiration from the Food Network. 

When I was over at my cousin's all of last week, I watched it like there was no tomorrow, trying to make up for months of deprivation. I watched as Bobby Flay made Baked Alaska, as Toy Story 3 cakes failed, as Guy Fieri tailgated, as restaurants were made-over and also as Chef-at-home Michael Smith demonstrated a food combination that looked so good I wanted to fly to his home in PEI to have some right away.

Peanut butter and chocolate may be good, and tomatoes and cheese appetite-inducing, but nothing compares to quinoa and pesto.  I've actually eaten it for two out of my last three meals. Michael Smith made a much more elaborate version involving toasted quinoa and almond pesto, but my simplified college kid version is along the same lines.

Pesto Quinoa

  • 1 to 1.5 cups cooked quinoa (instructions) (I added in some mixed vegetables while it was cooking)
  • 1.5 tablespoons pesto (I like this)
  1. Mix and serve

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews