Sunday, April 10, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal

I'm staring at the Blogger toolbar right now, looking for a button that will allow me to attach a 'smell' to this post. Unfortunately, I don't see one. Quotes, links, pictures, videos, but no smells? That's really doing you all a great disservice since I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe the smell of my breakfast this morning.


I had this brilliant idea last night that I would try making oats on the stovetop, I mean, it is Sunday morning, so I thought my breakfast deserved a bit more effort than my usual microwave quick oats I make while still half-asleep on weekdays.

We're in the midst of final exams right now so I planned to wake up at 7:30, do my ab workout, have breakfast, all by 8am. This way, I could get to library and finish up studying for my anatomy exam tomorrow and still have time for baking and my Hot Yoga class . But unfortunately my overly-optimistic self forgot that I don't actually know how to make old-fashioned oats on the stove, so by 8 I was still wondering how often I needed to pause my workout to stir the pot.

This is the part where I would have attached the 'smell' to this post because it is absolutely intoxicating. So please do pretend that I did and breathe in deeply. Doesn't that smell amazing? I know.

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
Adapted from Stovetop Oatmeal with Whipped Banana
Yield: 1 serving

  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup water
  • pinch salt (don't forget this)
  • 1/2 a banana, sort of mashed
  • 1/4 cup milk or extra water
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons roasted chopped walnuts (roasted nuts are about 100 times more delicious than raw, see instructions here)
  1. On low heat, mix the oats, salt and 1 cup water. Cook for 4-5minutes
  2. Add the banana and cook for 1-2 minutes longer
  3. Stir in the extra milk/water, use more or less depending on how thick you like your oatmeal
  4. Top with peanut butter and nuts.
Had to take out the rubber spatula, it was that good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews