Saturday, April 2, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffin Tops

I confess. I don't really like the show Seinfeld. I just don't find it funny. Once in a while I get told that the reason I don't find it funny is because I don't get the jokes. But I get them, I just don't find them funny. But there is one exception, there's this episode where Elaine opens a muffin top store. That's right, just the top, no 'stump'. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch this.


Elaine says that you need to bake the muffin top with the stump, but until I find myself a 'cleaner', I'm just going to make the part where "the muffin breaks free from the pan, and just, does its own thing".



I was extremely pleasantly surprised at how these turned out. Everyone's that tried them so far love them, including my Fruit Loops eating roommate who often scoffs at anything I make that looks 'too healthy'.  They're super moist and just the right level of sweetness and super healthy and amazing and, ok I'm obsessed.

Quitting at this point and taking out a fork would be perfectly acceptable
It's not that I think I think I'm a terrible baker, because I don't. But because this recipe is kind of the quasi-hybrid offspring of two other recipes I found. I took my favourite elements from each recipe, combined them and hoped for the best. It's quite the miracle that the batter still turned out the right consistency to be baked on a cookie sheet and become muffin top like. I'm probably going to be making these almost every week, they're soooo good.


Apple Cinnamon Muffin Tops
Yield: 16 muffin tops

Apple mixture:
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup apple sauce
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Wet:
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 6 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablspoons warm water (or 2 eggs)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Dry:
  • 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup oats
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  1. If using flax egg, mix ground flax and water, set aside
  2. On the stove on low heat, add all 'apple mixture' ingredients and stir. Allow to cook while you prepare everything else.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F
  4. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
  5. Cream butter and add remaining wet ingredients, including flax eggs
  6. Mix wet and apple mix ingredients, then pour into dry
  7. Mix thoroughly
  8. Scoop 3-4 tablespoons of batter onto greased/lined baking sheet
  9. Bake for 13-14 minutes

Per muffin top:
129 calories | 5.1g fat | 9.1g sugar | 2.3g protein


1 comment:

HaleyLeann said...

Love it! That episode is so funny! This looks super yummy. Thanks for linking up on Recipe's I Can't Wait to Try!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews