Friday, April 1, 2011

Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats

20 years from now I'm going to be one of those mothers who repeats "How do you know you don't like if you don't try it" like a broken record to my kids. Because the truth is, I wouldn't just be saying it to get my kids to eat their vegetables, but because I deep down and truly believe that all things are worth a try.

Mushy Oatmeal. Cold.


Angela at ohsheglows is really fond of it, she even endearingly abbreviates it as VOO (Vegan Overnight Oats) and has plenty of variations of the breakfast food. So. . . Maybe i'm missing out on something and it is actually really tasty.

So I gave it a try.

Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats
Adapted from: Carob Banana Chia VOO
Yield: 1 bowl
  • 1/3 cup regular rolled oats (not quick or instant)
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 1 tiny ripe banana, cut into tiny pieces and slightly mashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  1. Mix it all together the night before and stick in the fridge. Next morning, mix it up a bit and eat it cold.
Here's how it looked the night of:


And the next morning:


The verdict:
I like the texture much better than my usual microwave quick oats, but um, I think I'll give it another try when it's warmer out. In other words, I don't not like it.

3 comments:

HaleyLeann said...

I know you should soak your oats, but I haven't tried it yet. Is it bad to heat it the next morning? I don't know if my brain would allow me to enjoy cold oatmeal. It sounds tasty though! Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

Meg Luby said...

this looks seriously great! thanks for sharing, lots of love happening for this and all your posts :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

CollegeBakerGirl said...

HaleyLeann,

I don't think it's bad but I guess some people just like it cold. I going to give it another try in the summer, haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews