Sunday, April 24, 2011

Week 19: Toffee Crunch Cookies

I bake to stay sane, I bake for the people around me, I bake to experiment with new ingredients and techniques. But sometimes, the things I bake make me laugh.


I awoke this morning set on the idea that I would bake blookies. Blondies + cookies = blookies, chewy golden brown cookies with crunchy toffee bits. Throughout my whole ab workout I thought about how I was going to make them, how they would look, what ingredients I would use.  I had this idea in mind that I would roll the dough in the Skor candy bits and then bake them to create a crunchy toffee crust. Doesn't that sound great? It did to me.

This is what came out of the oven.


Cookies that looked like toffee termites had settled in, began tunnelling and built a toffee puddle moat.

And that's when I was laughed and remembered what this blog was all about, the misadventures of a college girl and her oven. I remembered what I have forgotten for a while now, that it wasn't about trying to take foodgawker worthy pictures and getting more page hits than the day before. I had started this blog to document my hobby, both the ups and downs and I'm happy that my misadventure this morning served as a reminder.


So here you go ladies and gentlemen, readers, a post, as advertised.


PS A more aesthetically pleasing version of these cookies are pictured below, bake them without the toffee and then drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with the toffee bits.


Toffee Crunch Cookies
Yield: ~40 cookies
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup toffee bits (I used Chipits Skor bits)

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
  3. Add flour, baking soda  and salt. Mix well.
  4. Roll dough into 1-1.5" balls and roll in toffee bits
  5. Flatten and place on lined baking sheet (don't forget to flatten them, the cookies don't spread at all)
  6. Bake for 9-10min

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'd eat your toffee cookies no matter what they looked like.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love how the toffee melts when baked. Yum!

Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you again this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews