Friday, April 15, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Green Monster

My grandfather was a passionate cook and lover of food (I think that's where I got it from) and I have many childhood memories of his kitchen. One in particular involves  my mother using a fancy juicer. I must have been 5 or 6 because I don't really remember it clearly.  I don't know what season it was, and I have no other memories of fancy juicers in my childhood, so maybe this was a dream instead of a real experience.


I remember the Apple-Carrot juice my mother made for my grandfather. I remember having a very clear distinction in my mind that only fruit belonged in juices and smoothies, and vegetables were for soup. This was very apparent to me, in the same way that I was certain that there were 'boy colours' and 'girl colours' (yellow is girl colour in case any of you expectant parents out there are wondering.). My mother had violated my most basic dogma at the time and obviously I refused to try her 'juice'. She made me some pure apple juice instead, and I happily gulped it down.


In case of you've never heard of a Green Monster, it's a spinach smoothie that's been catching on in the, um, smoothie-enthusiast world. A smoothie that's filled with the most vegatable-ey vegetables of the vegetable world? No wonder I was afraid of the big bad Green Monster.

...until I saw this.

And found a huge bag of prewashed spinach in my fridge; It was a sign. So I took out my magic bullet proverbially bit it ('bite the bullet', get it? Ok I tried). And that's when my new life addiction began. 24 hours later, I made another, a whole blender full so I could share with my roommate AG (sort of).


Dogma broken.


Mint Chocolate Chip Green Monster
Yield: 1 ~16oz smoothie

  • 1 cup 'milk' (I like soy)
  • 1-1/2 small or medium frozen bananas
  • 1-1/2 cups raw spinach
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax (optional, but it's a great source of omega-3's and fibre)
  • Peppermint extract (start with 1/8 teaspoon and add a few drops at a time until desired minty-ness)
  • 1 square dark chocolate, grated or chopped

  1. Blend all ingredients except chocolate
  2. Garnish or mix in grated chocolate

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews