Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 21: Mother's Day Scones

I still remember the first time I made scones. I was 9 years old and a teacher at school was retiring. Because she was English, another teacher had the idea for us to host an English afternoon tea for her, complete with scones of course. She had asked for a few volunteers to help her out in my school's small kitchen and I was eager to get involved despite not even knowing what a scone was. Clearly I was an adventurous baker from a young age.


As a product of a Harry Potter-filled childhood, I am a fan of all things English, scones included. I don't quite know why, but I also think that there's some quite motherly about them. Perhaps the way the often come alongside a warm and soothing cup of tea, just like my own mother? This year, I baked up some in both cranberry and chocolate-orange (ok, maybe these were more for me) varieties to say thank you before we spent some quality time at a local farmer's market.


Mother's Day Scones
Yield: 8
  • 1-1/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 1-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup butter (cold)
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk + a little more

For cranberry scones: 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
For Chocolate-orange scones: 1/3 cup chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons marmalade, orange zest

Egg wash:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Icing:
  • 1/4 icing sugar
  • Water as needed
  1. Preset oven to 375F
  2. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder
  3. Add butter and mix with a pastry blender (a few butter knives work too)
  4. Add in either the cranberries or chocolate chips/marmalade (the zest is for later)
  5. Mix in 1/3 cup butter milk to form dough, as more as needed
  6. Form dough into an 8" circle and cut into 8 slices
  7. Brush with egg/milk mixture and bake for 12-13 minutes
  8. Allow to cool slightly and drizzle with icing, sprinkle with zest if making chocolate orange scones
  9. Serve warm


How did you say thanks to Mom this year?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews