Friday, March 11, 2011

Garlic Hummus

If you knew me you would know that if I had to choose one food to eat for the remainder of my life, I would choose peanut butter. In fact, my love for peanut butter even extends to foods that just look like peanut butter, foods like hummus! I actually like to think of hummus as a savory peanut butter.


Though the grocery store at school sells delicious well-priced hummus in neat flavours like eggplant and olive, I wanted to try making my own. Why you ask? Because I can. And so can you. . .


Note: This makes a lot of hummus and last time mine had green furry things growing on it before I was finished so I put half of it in the freezer. I'll keep you posted on how it thaws out.


Update: Ran out of my first batch so I had to thaw out the second one, it was just fine :)


Garlic Hummus
Yield: 2.5 cups
  • 1/4 cup tahini (aka sesame seed paste)
  • 2-4 cloves garlic (I like it really garlicky)
  • 1 19oz. Can of chickpeas (I used an unsalted type since some brands are loaded with it)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Drain chickpeas, preserving about 6 tbsp of liquid
  2. On a baking tray, drizzle garlic with olive oil and roast in oven (I used my toaster oven)
  3. Blend tahini, garlic, paprika and liquids until smooth (I used my magic bullet)
  4. Gradually add in chickpeas and blend
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste

Per 2 tablespoons:
40 calories | 0.1g sugar | 1.9g fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews