Monday, February 7, 2011

Week 8: Cranberry Orange Scones

Cranberries were on sale a couple weeks ago and I thought they could serve double duty as ingredients for some more scones and perhaps a new smoothie recipe. For some reason, roommate AG forgot what scones were and I realised that I really don't have  better description for them other than: "You know, they're triangular, and flaky, and Starbucks sells them?". Which apparently was not descriptive enough.

I had taken the night off from campaigning in the school elections, which I'll regret if not enough people choose my name on the ballot a week from now. But from my experience of when I was elected as Grade 5 class president, campaigning breaks are okay; especially if they're taken for baking.

Last time I made scones I mentioned that I would like to try them with whole wheat flour if I had had any on hand, and now that I do, whole wheat scones it is!  This recipe is a little different from last time  as I think they ended up too moist. I've also replaced the lemon zest with orange since I didn't have any lemons on hand. Noticing that I didn't have this recipe stored anywhere else but the blog itself, I had to follow the recipe here and noticed that grey text is incredibly hard to read so I've changed it all to black to make all your lives just a bit easier, you're welcome.


Even Less Evil Orange Cranberry Scones
Yield: 8 scones
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour 
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/4 cup butter 
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries 
  • Zest of half a small orange 
  • 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt 
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (brown or gold, but make sure it’s ground, your body doesn’t break down the whole seeds well so it’s hard to get the benefits from it) 
  • 1 teaspoon milk 

  1. Preset oven to 400F
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Add cranberries and zest.
  4. Stir in the 1/3 cup yogurt just until moistened
  5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Brush milk on top of scones.
  6. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews