I have no words to describe how amazingly these turned out other than the fact that I would not protest if I were to have to eat nothing else for the rest of my life. We had a bunch of zucchini laying around in the fridge that we need to get rid of before we all leave for reading week and I had come across this scrumptious looking recipe from 'For the Love of Cooking' and adapted it. I'd write more but I am currently still in awe of how something made with whole wheat flour and vegetables could be so delicious. . .
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil (try replacing some of the oil with apple sauce!)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add the shredded zucchini and stir. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling each cup to the top and sprinkle with chocolate chips.(fill empty spaces in the tray with water for moister muffins)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
261 calories | 14.9g sugar | 15.3g fat