Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chocolate truffles-ish

What do pitted prunes, dried cranberries and almonds have in common other than being vaguely 'healthy' ? When you combine them you get something that tastes just like cookie dough.  Amazing? I know. I found this recipe after reading the food column in the National Post. The column's called 'Making love in the kitchen' and is written by nutritionist Meghan Telpner. Though I disagree with some of her strong views against additives like MSG, the recipes all seem pretty interesting and she had me at the word: Truffle. I halved and made a few changes to this recipe, both on purpose and by accident and I'm glad I did because these are little morsels of chocolate-y heaven. Next time I'm going to make them as directed.
    Chocolate Truffles-ish
    Yield: 31 truffles
  1. 1 cup  almonds
  2. 1/4 teaspoon  salt
  3. 7 pitted dates
  4. 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
  5. 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  6. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  7. 2 tablespoons honey
  8. 1 tablespoon  water
  9. 1/2 cup shredded coconut (separated)

  1. Blend all ingredients except for 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut in a food processor (I used a magic bullet)
  2. Scoop out teaspoons and roll in remaining coconut
  3. Chill until firm
  4. Per truffle:
    47 calories | 2.2g sugar | 3.2g fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews