Scones may just be my favourite coffee shop indulgence. They’re flaky, buttery and available in just about any flavour. The problem is, they are also often absolute calorie/fat/sugar bombs, which I can do without. So I thought I would try to create a better scone! One that would taste like the 500 calorie evil things sold by an unnamed ubiquitous Seattle-based coffee shop, but less evil.
- Preset oven to 400F
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cranberries and lemon zest.
- Stir in the 1/3 cup yogurt just until moistened
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Mix milk and egg and brush on top of scones.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks.