Ideally, they would just sell them in smaller sizes for less money, but that's no way to make a profit now is it? Which leads me to my creation this afternoon post-gym pre-running for the bus to get to class on time: The Creamsicle smoothie! Although I never liked that fluorescent orange coated vanilla frozen treats as a child, I started to really like the combination of vanilla and oranges recently. Maybe it was the highlighter hue or unpronounceable ingredients that turned me off. . .
Yield: 1 smoothie; ~16oz
- 1/2 navel orange (frozen and separated into wedges)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt (it doesn't need to be fat-free but make sure it's plain, the flavoured stuff is full of sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (optional if you don't like omega-3's and fibre)
- a bit of cold water to adjust consistency
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Add more water if necessary
- Serve immediately
235 calories | 24.3g sugar | 5.3g fat
compare that to the >90g sugar $6 version!