Thursday, January 13, 2011

Walnut Banana Muffins


I’m a big believer in signs and hunches. So when my constant cravings of delicious-but-oh-so-unhealthy banana nut muffins from Tim Hortons miraculously coincide with a sale on bananas at my local grocery store, I take that as a sign that I need to bake myself some banana muffins before my junk food temptations get the best of me. And I hate to say this, Tim Horton, but I may have just ousted you in the contest of making the best banana muffins. Really, Tim, are your muffins heavenly moist and delicious, not really. Do they contain actual bananas? Unlikely. Are they filled to the brim with fat and calories? Most certainly. Which brings me to my night’s accomplishment: Walnut Banana muffins worthy of a patent for a fraction of the caloric evil… Take that, Mr. Horton.




Walnut Banana Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen

  • 3 to 4 ripe bananas 
  • 1/3 cup melted butter 
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • Pinch of salt 
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats 
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 





  1. Preset oven to 350F 
  2. Mix butter, egg, vanilla, sugar and bananas 
  3. Mix/mash until bananas are mashed to your desired level (I like chunks) 
  4. Add baking soda and salt, then flour and oats 
  5. Add half the amount of walnuts (1/4 cup) and mix 
  6. Spoon batter into lined or greased muffin pan until almost full and sprinkle with remaining chopped walnuts 
  7. Bake for 18 minutes 
  8. Allow to cool and remove from pan 


Per muffin:
165 calories | 7.1g sugar | 5.8g fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews