Thursday, December 23, 2010

Week 3: Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies


After finally getting home from school for the holidays via 2 flights, waiting for my baggage for 40 minutes, being told that they lost it, grabbing a late dinner (plane food sucks, even when they make you pay extra for it) and going to straight to bed after a 20 hour day, I was ready to bake again! It’s nice to be home and have all my baking tools again so I was looking forward to making something the next morning.


In my search for breakfast in  the kitchen early next morning (jetlag=fun), I couldn’t help but notice this bright orange can of Ovaltine sitting on the kitchen counter and just knew that I had to make these cookies! Ovaltine is this malted hot chocolate mix that is reallllly good, it’s mainly sold in ethnic grocery stores but I’m sure all the large grocery chains should carry it too.
 
I took this recipe off a cookie blog that I’ve been reading a lot recently, written by a baker that is much much more experienced than I am and always posts great recipes. My cookies turned out NOTHING like hers did but were still delicious. I halved the recipe as I didn’t have enough chocolate chips around and reduced the sugar and chocolate chips and they were just the right level of sweetness. I also used dark brown sugar as I didn’t have any light brown on hand.
The ones on cookiemadness turned our thin, crispy and flat and mine were not flat at all! I even tried squishing them down with a butter knife before baking and they were still quite thick. The rounded ones look a lot nicer but here’s picture of what how they looked after my attempts to bake flatter cookies.
There wasn’t as much malt flavour as I was looking for, perhaps because my Ovaltine was chocolate-malt and cookiemadness used plain malt powder. Next time I make these, I would increase the malt mix to 1/2 cup.
Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 29 cookies
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup Ovaltine mix
  • 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used mini chipits)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside
  3. Beat the butter and both sugars for about 3-5 minutes or until very light.
  4. Reduce speed slightly and add the vanilla and egg, beating just until mixed.
  5. Add the malt powder and mix at low speed just until combined.
  6. One-third at a time, add the flour mixture, beating after each addition just until combined.
  7. Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
  8. Drop by level tablespoons onto the baking sheets.
  9. Bake 8 to 10 (my batches at 8 and 9 minutes turned out the same), depending on how crispy you like your cookies.
  10. Let cool on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes or until sturdy enough to remove, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
 
Per cookie:
63 calories | 4.4g sugar | 3.3g fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews