Thursday, December 23, 2010

Week 2: Christmas Gingersnaps


To start off, these may just be the best thing I have ever baked in my 20 year life. I might just be getting good at this.  Or maybe I got lucky. These are the gingersnaps that I wrote about in my first post, the ones baked at midnight and all disappeared within days. Good thing I have a set of very eager consumers for the fruits of my labour.
I did try to limit myself to eating three of these a day (roommate AG, who has much more willpower than I do was able to stop herself at 1). But then again there’s the other 3 cookie fiends I live with, who shamelessly inhaled these. So if my haven’t sufficiently put my point across just yet, these are GOOD.
This is another recipe that I altered from allrecipes (the original). Facebook, Twitter, allrecipes… If I knew how to look up my internet history those three would probably be my most visited sites. As with all the recipes I try, I always reduce the sugar and so far I haven’t baked anything that I’ve found wasn’t sweet enough, so healthy (read: nominally less junky) it is!
I rolled them in Christmas coloured decorating sugar to make them more festive and they turned out looking great!
 
Christmas Gingersnaps
Yield: 55 cookies
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses (I know nothing about molasses and used ‘fancy table’ as it was the more expensive kind and I assumed would be better, blackstrap would probably suffice)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup decorating sugar (1/4 cup *3 colours)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses until well blended. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the molasses mixture to form a dough.
  3. Scoop dough with a levelled tablespoon and roll in coloured sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (Mine needed 8 for chewy cookies, 9 for crispy)
Per cookie:
56 calories|3.3g sugar|2.5g fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews