Monday, May 16, 2011

Better Burgers and Fries

High-fructose corn syrup, monosodium-glutamate. . . Doesn't sound like a tasty burger and fries meal to me. The problem is, that's exactly what's in the burger combo you'd find at your local drive-thru. Even with these frankenstein ingredients, your meal rarely looks are great as it does in the ad.


Why settle for something that comes on a paper-lined questionably clean plastic tray when you can have something so much better?



At school I get to eat whatever I want but now that i'm back home for the summer, compromises must be made. After all, I do have to share the dinner table with my meat-atarian younger sister. Luckily, I got them to agree to 'Meatless Monday's', one day a week when we'll have a completely meatless supper. Here's how week 1 went:

Better Burgers and Fries
Yield: 7-8 burgers


Burger patties:

  • 3/4 cup canned chickpeas
  • ~ 1 cup cookied quinoa (cooked from 1/2 cup dry quinoa)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper
  1. Preset oven to 350F
  2. Slightly mash chickpeas in a large bowl
  3. Add remaining ingredients, salt and pepper to taste, mix well
  4. form into patties and bake until slightly browned, ~15 minutes
  5. serve on toasted buns
Fries:


  • 1 large sweet potato
  • vegetable oil
  • salt
  • garlic powder
  1. Preset oven to 400F
  2. Clean and peel sweet potato
  3. cut into fry shaped pieces
  4. In a large bowl, drizzle fries with oil and toss to mix well, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder
  5. Bake on a cooking rack until crisp ~15 minutes
Creamy garlic sauce:
  • 3/4 Greek yogurt
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
  1. Mix yogurt and garlic well and serve with burgers and fries

1 comment:

Unknown said...

MMMM This all looks great! I love meatless burgers and sweet potato fries! Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Potluck... I'm heading over to your Butternut Squash fries. The last time I tried them, my gameplan tanked, but I'm hoping to take inspiration (and a good solid plan) from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews