Monday, July 11, 2011

Birthday Cupcakes


Remember in elementary school, when it was always the birthday boy or girl's job to bring cupcakes for the entire class? The store bought frosting, almost always chocolate, spread, not piped, sometimes there were sprinkles. Remember? I loved those days. Except the thing is, there's no school in July. Which means that I never got to be the one to bring the cupcakes and I just don't think I ever got over it.

So this past Friday, four dozen cupcakes came to work with me to the lab.


Chocolate espresso cupcakes, with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles. A slightly more grown up (but just slightly) and polished version of the ones in my childhood memories. Score!

Another great thing is that I got to use some of my new baking gadgets.

Like my mess-free cupcake pen...


And my cupcake carrier...


And my wilton gel food colouring...

Birthdays rule.

Ugh, early mornings


Chocolate Birthday cupcakes with buttercream frosting
Yield: 4 dozen

Cupcakes:
  • 3-1/3 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups milk
  • 1 cup strong coffee (I used a can of Starbucks double shot topped up with water to make 1 cup)
  • 1-1/2 cup butter (melted)
Frosting:
  • 2 cups butter (room temperature)
  • 6-1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1-1/4 cup milk or cream (I used a mix of both)
  • Food colouring (optional)
  1. Preset oven to 350F
  2. In bowl #1,  sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt
  3. In bowl #2 whisk eggs, both sugars, milk, coffee and melted butter
  4. Whisk in contents of bowl #1
  5. Fill the lined or greased cupcake pan and bake for 15 minutes
  6. Test doneness with a toothpick and allow to cool completely before icing.
Frosting:
  1. Cream butter and slowly add in remaining ingredients

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews